Mawgan Porth Pools-Lake, Retorrick Mill, Newquay, Cornwall TR8 4BH, England, UK
phone/fax: 01637 860770
mobile: 07966 448117
Day Tickets / information:
- day tickets: £7.00
- pensioners day (Thursday): £6.00
- gates are open from 7.30 in the morning until dusk
* Please note: an Environment Agency rod licence is required to fish Mawgan Porth Pools.
- disabled access
- cafe - stocked with prepared food and drinks
- bait and tackle shop - sale / hire of goods including tackle bags, chairs, umbrellas, keepnets, landing nets, rods, reels, hooks, weights and lines. Baits for sale include live baits, maggots, worms, sweetcorn, groundbait and pellets
- tackle and equipment hire
- car parking
- regular matches / competitions
- caravan and camping facilities with electric hook ups and showers.
General Fishery Information:
The fishery is located in Mawgan Porth, a small seaside village, a few minutes to the north of Newquay, Cornwall. The site is disabled friendly and suitable for use by those in wheelchairs. For pleasure anglers fishing equipment is available for hire, all that you need to have a nice days fishing.
Mawgan Porth Pools offers coarse and carp fishing on two well stocked lakes which have wooden platforms with paths which lead to & from the car parking area, so that what ever age or disability, you and your loved ones will be able to enjoy the peace & beauty of the countryside. The coarse fishing lakes are naturally very beautiful and wildlife is in abundance with turquoise blue king fishers & elegant herons.
The smaller of the two lakes with 11 pegs, the Specimen Lake is stocked with Carp, Tench, Bream, Blue & Golden Orfe weighing up to 15lb.
The lake is filled utilising natural ground water; Timber path and platforms are all around the edge of the lake, linked by a continuation of the path to the car parking area with wide spaces for disabled drivers.
The shape of the match lake reflects its intended informality not only for the fishermen but also for the existing and proposed flora and fauna. It undoubtedly adds to the outstanding natural beauty of the countryside here in Cornwall. The location and size of the lake is 1.5 acres, the depth of the lake varies but at a maximum it is about 4 meters. The margins are gently sloping in order to encourage bankside and shallow water vegetation.
The match lake has 47 pegs.
Competitions are held every Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, & Sunday - as there are two lakes there is always some were to pleasure fish - one Rod or Pole per person.
Matches are regularly won with 200lb+ weights and they are becoming more and more popular with local match and pleasure anglers.
How to find Mawgan Porth Pools:
The welfare of the fish at Mawgan Porth Pools, the comfort of their guests and a general concern for maintaining the environment are their main concerns. All visitors are requested to familiarise themselves with the fishery rules before fishing. Anyone found breaking any of these rules will be asked to leave the fishery.
- No Keepnets Except In Matches
- Mawgan Porth Pools provide all the landing and keepnets - all other nets are banned. NO EXCEPTIONS to this rule.
- No Artificial Baits No Varnish Or Glue To Be Used On Baits
- No Tiger Nuts, Boilies or Peanuts
- Barbless Hooks Only Maximum Size 12
- A Maximum 2kg Of Groundbait Per Angler
- ALL MEAT baits are BANNED
- If using pellets to feed, only Mawgan Porth Pellets to be used which are available to buy on site - you may use your own pellets on the hook
- Please Use Landing Net For All Fish Including Silver Fish
- No Floating Pole or The Rattler
- Min 6" of Line Between Elastic Connector and Pole Float
- No Fishing an Over Shotted Pole Float
- The METHOD and FEEDER FLOAT are Banned
- If Using Running line a Min 12" Hook length Must Hang Below Feeder Bomb Or Waggler
- ALL DOGS Must Be Kept On A Lead At All Times, All Feaces MUST Be Picked Up
- No Cloths, Weigh Slings, Nets or Unhooking Mats To Be Taken To The Lakes These Are Provided For You Free Of Charge
- Please Take All Litter
- Home One Rod or Pole Only
- All Anglers Must Have A Current Rod Fishing Licence
Further Information :
For more information about fishing at Mawgan Porth Pools, visit their website at: